The Road Safety Monitoring Center for the Sardinia Region
Successfully started the Contract for the realization of the new CReMSS-RAS Center for the Sardinia Region
The 2M€ contract awarded by the Sardinia Region was started in 2019 by the joint venture led by Siteco Informatica and Sina (respectively IT and engineering companies of the Gavio Group), with the participation of TPS, Go-Mobility and Era Informatica.
The Monitoring Center, so-called CReMSS-RAS, is an ambitious multidisciplinary project that integrates several activities in a multidisciplinary framework:
• Survey of the Road Inventory with Laser Mapping System
• Road Accident Management Information System
• Traffic Model on a regional scale
• Decision Support System (DSS)
• Support for the Regional Road Safety Plan (PRSS-RAS).
The project main objective is a sharp reduction in the number of road accidents in compliance with the National Road Safety Plan Horizon2020 perspective of "No more victims on the road", a target to be achieved through actions, programs, and interventions, monitoring the contexts and applying suitable corrective actions. The activities already carried out in 2019 were the following:
- Definition and approval of the General Project of the CReMSS-RAS Information System.
- Definition of the reference graph on a regional scale, based on the institutional graph provided by the Region, including the main extra-urban roads and urban connections (in collaboration with the Research Center of the University of Cagliari (CIREM).
- Configuration of the Road Inventory System, including Survey with the Laser Mapping System and post-processing of the first 900-km stretch.
- Search and recovery of existing cadastral data provided by the Road Management National Body (ANAS) and the Provincial Administrations.
- Configuration of the Traffic Model, including summer and winter surveys of traffic flows, source-target analysis, and integration with ANAS data.
- Implementation of the Road Accident Management Information System based on the open-source Inci-WEB application, already adopted by a number of Italian Regions, and available to all Monitoring Centers and Municipal Police headquarters of the Region, as per the Agreement with the National Institute of Statistics (ISTAT).
The contract will extend in 2020-2021 with the adoption of the Guideline of DGLS 35/2011 for the road infrastructure safety management, with the execution of the planned set of activities:
- Road subdivision into Homogeneous stretches, and calculation of the corresponding reduction in the accident potential;
- Identification of the critical points on which inspections will be carried out.
- Development of the Decision Support System, to carry out optimized intervention scenarios based on multi-criteria analyses.
Finally, the CReMSS-RAS Institutional Portal will be created to share all the information collected in the System to the users of the various Monitoring Centers and the Public Administrations of the Region, with different access levels.
The portal will be used as a public tool for spreading information and to stimulate social sensitivity within the framework of the National Road Safety Plan (e.g. information on traffic, works in progress, and so on).